Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter



Spring is a magical time. I think it is so magical because it is a time filled with life, growth and new beginnings. David and I have a beautiful tree outside of our bedroom window. For months it has been bare, dry, and showing very little signs of life. It has been with awe that over the last few weeks I have watched as slowly, little blossoms, tiny leaves and shades of green have begun to spread the news that spring is here. For the last couple of mornings the gorgeous white blossoms have been so full and thick that I can hardly see out of our window. Several birds have come to nest in the safety of the tree's full branches. After a long, quiet winter, we can now wake up to the beautiful song of those birds. Spring is such evidence of new life, and of that which was barren and dead, rising once again to become full of life and beauty.

Is it any wonder that we celebrate Easter in the spring? This holiday is an opportunity to reflect on the most miraculous and eternally significant return of life -- that of our Savior, Jesus Christ.


Some of my favorite scriptures in the New Testament is found in Luke 24:5-6; "Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen..."

Because of our Savior, his infinite love, mercy and sacrifice, we need not dwell on that which is gone. We can, with confidence. know that just as spring brings new life, our Savior's atonement and resurrection has allowed each of us the opportunity to break the bands of death, that they need not be a bitter end, but a glorious beginning.

I can not think of the glory of the resurrection without thinking of the mercy of the atonement. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the quorum of the twelve apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints said, "It is a matter of surpassing wonder that the voluntary and merciful sacrifice of a single being could satisfy the infinite and eternal demands of justice, atone for every human misdeed, bare every mortal infirmity, feel every personal heartache, sorrow and loss. But I testify that is exactly what Christ did for every one of us."

I add my testimony to his this Easter day. Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Happy Easter Sum! I know this Easter has been an especially treasured one because of the things we've gone through this year. Thank you for your reflections to add to the spirit of Easter.