Friday, May 18, 2012

BABY BENNETT

While Summer is laying low I am stepping up to give a little update on our past couple weeks, most importantly the birth of Bennett David. I'll get to the "time-line" but here are a few fun facts:
- Bennett is great-grandchild #100 of my maternal grandparents, Paul and Betty Ahlstrom. Their posterity is amazing in quantity but if you know the quality of the 10 children, 60+ grandchildren & 100 great-grandchildren it is even more amazing.
- We were stuck on "B"-names when one day in the kitchen I saw Bennett online and it stuck for us through the last months of pregnancy.
- David (his middle name) is a family name on many accounts: my name, Summer's dad's, and on my Jenkins side it has been used for generations: a great-uncle, a great-grandfather, a great-great-grandfather, and at least 4 other David Jenkins going back to the 1600's in Wales. Its great to pass on a family name.

Ok, the story:
Summer's due date was scheduled for the 8th of May, and I was to finish my last final exam for the semester the day before. We had been hoping and praying all semester that he would come on time or late...and you'll see that we got it and more! The week before I started testing Summer's doctor said she was looking like the baby could come any day - not what we hoped to hear - but we put the car seat in and Summer's mom, Valynn, drove up a few days earlier than planned. So Summer and her mom watched movies and sewed burp clothes and I took my exams but the 8th came and went! We had been warned that the first baby often comes late but with the doctor putting us on alert we thought for sure I'd be in the anatomy lab when Summer went into labor. (Our code during testing was that I would keep my phone on vibrate in my pocket and she would text me 5 times in a row if things were urgent and I needed to finish my exam quickly and get home!). On Tuesday the 8th we celebrated the end of my semester and Summer's "due date" by going hiking with Valynn. No luck inducing labor as we secretly hoped, but it was great to get some fresh air. Finally Friday morning (3 days and a lot of movies later) we went into the hospital where things got moving and by 5:20pm Bennett David was born. Summer bore it all remarkably well - though difficult it was an amazing experience to go through together. I also have to thank Summer for letting me assist in the birth, she has so much confidence in me! Her doctor works with some of my medical school classmates, so she had me gown up with her for the actual delivery. With the doctor as backup, she let me catch the baby, place it on Summer's chest, and then cut the cord. Though a simple routine for an experienced doctor, it was my first delivery and I'm so glad it was with Summer and our first son - I'll always remember it. We spent a couple nights in the hospital, then had Valynn home to help out for a couple more days. Thanks for all your help Valynn! And thanks to the hospital here in Moscow where we delivered. The nurses and staff were fantastic. Our experience was much more than a "hospital stay," it was full of congratulations, education, pampering (candle-light dinner) and lots of encouragement. The women working there surely sacrifice a lot to do their jobs well, thank you!

Bennett is an angel, bringing so much peace and joy to our home already. Today is his 1 week "B-day" and the 3 of us plan on baking a cake to celebrate, though Bennett will have to enjoy it second-hand!

P.S. We owe a lot to talented teachers who have made our first days go remarkably well with sleeping and feeding and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on these great resources: "On Becoming Baby-Wise" and Shari Criso at MyBabyExperts.com.

And now for photos...

Blue for Boy!

Out hiking

Valynn & Summer

Hitting a tough spot

Putting on the scrubs





Grandpa Price made a surprise visit





Mother's Day dinner the day we got home from the hospital


I'd say future Usain Bolt, but sprinting hasn't been our family's thing, but we'll see



The nursery: country theme!








6 comments:

Leah said...

It sounds like it was a beautiful experience! He is such a cutie!!! That is so neat that David got to deliver him too. Wow! Congrats to a wonderful family!!!

kami said...

Congratulations Summer, he is so perfect!! Enjoy these first moments...they are magical!

Laura said...

YEAH!!! I'm so glad to read this story. Way to go Sum! He is absolutely beautiful. I love that David got to deliver and that things are going so smoothly for you. Being a Mom truly is the best, especially when they fall asleep on you so peacefully:) Ah! SO excited for you guys!

Brandon said...

These pictures are so fun. Thank you David for posting all this. The baby room is so cute as well!! Wishing Summer the best of what is left of her recovery. Miss you guys!

BL said...

SUMMER! CONGRATULATIONS! What a beautiful baby! Im glad that everything went well!! cant wait to see more pictures of bennett.

Diana Hulme said...

Congratulations! Bennett is adorable and how cool that you got to be part of the delivery, David. Hope you guys are adjusting ok and that Bennett is sleeping well! Glad to find your blog & hope to keep in touch!